The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fifa 10 Review, an EA game

+3
sophosuni
Hendo 259
palindromic BOB
7 posters

Go down

Fifa 10 Review, an EA game Empty Fifa 10 Review, an EA game

Post  palindromic BOB Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:30 am

FIFA 10
An EA Sports Title

Review by Thunderbear10 with bits by Palindromic Bob

Fifa 10 Review, an EA game Logo12

The second most pondered question in the world today:

Is there a God?

The one that everyone cares about:

FIFA Or PES?

Flashback to 2005 and this question was rather pointless. Without a doubt the answer was PES. FIFA was clunky, felt scripted, lacked realistic physics and was generally pants. PES presented realistic, beautiful, slick football showered with flashes of brilliant skill and outrageous goals.

Go forward to 2009 and serious thought was required to answer this question. FIFA 09 was the game where EA Sports finally started to reap the rewards for all the hard work that had gone into producing their Next Gen game engine. PES on the other hand seemed to be slowing down, with PES 2009 feeling like a mere update to, what was widely considered by critics a mediocre offering, in PES 2008. Despite this it was still a tight call.

On October 2nd 2009, FIFA 10 was released to heightened expectation. Could this game be one that actually dares to better PES. Well you’ll have to make up your own mind on this one. That is a topic too hot for me to touch, but I can tell you now about what Fifa 10 has to offer.

This is the first thing you notice about FIFA this year, from the moment you start to kick about in the practice arena, is an extra level control over players. With the 360 degree dribbling now implemented this is most evident when you are without the ball. This videos shows the differences well.

It's much better to feel than see so try the game.

It doesn’t sound like much but once you start to play a few games you really notice the difference. The game feels far more fast and fluid, especially if you like to employ a passing game. The new system has also allowed a change to AI player runs, now they can bend their runs to stay onside or intercept your attempts to break through the defence.

This year the ball also has some weight. Previously, long shots hit high over the bar acted like someone had switched off gravity. The ball simply floated out of the earth’s atmosphere never to be seen again. This year shots and cross field passes seem more ‘driven’ which adds to the speed of the games. This opens the option to switch play through a crossfield pass. This wasn’t as effective in ‘09 due to the length of time it took for the ball to float across the pitch. Shooting also benefits and doesn’t feel as ‘on rails’ as ‘09 did at times. From the hours that I’ve clocked up on FIFA 10 so far (ALOT) there doesn’t seem to be on sure-fire way to score although this depends on the difficulty level chosen. In easier modes you’ll score with ease but of course that’s the point of easy. Take things to professional or higher and you’ll start to notice the real challenge the game offers.

‘Freedom of Physical Play’ is the new buzz phrase for ’10. This allows players like Drogba and Andy Reid to use their strength/fatness to hold off opposition defenders or even muscle/outfat them off the ball. With this factor in mind, you’ll find yourself choosing you teams based on it. If you’re opponent chooses Chelsea, you may want to pick a team like United so that you can counter Drogba’s strength with Vidic. You may also find yourself dropping a creative but fragile midfielder for a powerhouse in the centre like Yaya Toure to help win the midfield battle.

Fifa 10 Review, an EA game Physic10
FIGHT!

The physical aspects also come into play when dribbling. While using a skilled dribbler e.g. Messi, you can hold both triggers together to perform a ‘Skilled Dribble.’ This allows for lateral movement, letting you jink from one side to the other. This is a fantastic addition to the game as there is nothing more satisfying than totally skinning a defender and smashing one home. Don’t get me wrong, effective use of this does take practice but it really is worth it.

Heading has become a lot more skilled forcing the player to time headers rather than just repeated button tapping like a Tekken player having a fit. Despite the open nets I’ve missed, I like this addition. One on One chances are also harder to score leading to greater use of the finesse button (RB) when you are in these situations. This adds to the satisfaction when you do manage to put one away.

Fifa 10 Review, an EA game Header10
Outta my way bucko!

To keep matches flowing, cut scenes have been reduced. Referees now can be seen on the pitch walking up to players whether it’s just to tell them to cut it out or to give them their marching orders. Referees also now have a bit more intelligence this year, stepping out of the way of oncoming passes etc but they still get hit occasionally resulting is screams of “Waaahhheyyyy!” from the supporters, Unfortunately this intelligence doesn’t transfer so well to the ‘Be a Pro’ mode. More often than not the referee is nothing but a useless....person (sorry but i’m not allowed to swear), getting in the way of passes like an unfit Alan Wiley Razz

Defensively, it’s a far tighter game. Defenders now show more urgency to cover potentially dangerous situations while midfielders will intelligently cover for adventurous fullbacks. They also can sprint back to their goal-line allowing to scoop the ball away saving almost certain goals. Last year the chip through ball was overpowered causing it to lead to 1v1 situations 9 times out of 10. The improved AI has countered this with defenders not pressing up so high. They also recognise danger quicker so can position themselves better. Goalkeepers have also improved and can now get up from saves faster allowing them to make spectacular double saves.

Goalkeeper urgency video

The usual features are present plus a couple of changes, I can’t mention them all but here is my choice picks.

-Manager Mode has had several advancements have including more realistic player transfers, club finances and player growth based on real life i.e. as player gets older his mental stats improve but his physical ones decrease. I’ve yet to play far enough into Manager Mode to comment on the player growth but other aspects work well. My Burton Albion side is a sleeping giant being tied down by a stingy Board Room. Difficulty can be set at the start of the game allowing more money. It does offer a great alternative to those who want to invest time in the game without playing online and is an area where a great deal of achievements lay.

Fifa 10 Review, an EA game Manage10

One fault I have come across is with the Assistant Coach who, once turned on, will rotate your squad for you. Sounds good doesn’t it?! Unfortunately, he seems to suffer from chronic bouts of dumbass, putting players into positions where they really shouldn’t be. During a Manchester United manager mode game, I started a match only to find that Scholes was my right winger while Ferdinand and Evra had switched positions. Luckily, Van Der Sar remained in goal.

Virtual Pro is fast becoming one of the most played features of FIFA for me. The accomplishments add a RPG element to your pro, forcing you to complete challenges like dribbling past 25 players to upgrade your movement stats for your player. You can also now add your face to your player. The one problem I have with this is that it requires you to go through easportsworld.com to create your game face. This can be a laborious process and involves downloading EA software but the results are good if you take the time to use it.

Fifa 10 Review, an EA game Custom10
How do I look? Wait don't answer if you can't say something nice.

Lounge Mode – Allows you to create a league against up to 19 other friends for offline play. Playing matches unlocks cheap shots so that you can start the next game with a goal head start for example. A great mode if you and mates play together regularly!

Online is the biggest test for most sports game and luckily Fifa 10 doesn’t disappoint. Along with the usual Head to Head you can also play Online Team which lets you play 10v10 online! Great fun. It can create a strangely real football feel because you’ll hear all the lads talking as if they are on a pitch. Expect t hear the back four shouting ‘BREEEAAAKKK HISSSS F**KING LEGGGSSS’ every time Ronaldo touches the ball.

The Pro Club championship allows you to create or sign for an online team and play matches against online opposition. You’ll be in a league that is selected for you based on your location. If you create your own team you’ll be able to sign your friends up to it. Luckily if your friend sucks, you can kick their asses out of your virtual club.

Head to Head play, you’ll be glad to hear, seems pretty lag free. I’ve played a few online games with only one of them suffering from any noticeable lag. A good feature is that the custom search now allows you to find players based on Team Rating and Game Speed. The Team Rating filter will be seen as a Godsend to many of you I’m sure. There really can only so many times you want to play against Barca, Inter or Real Madrid.

Virtual Stripper – In this game mode you play the part of Neville Southall as he........ok......This is not a feature of FIFA 10 but admit it……. you secretly hoped it was.

Live Season 2.0 – This feature first of all provides you with weekly updates for all the leagues for the handsome fee of 800 points for all leagues or 400 for one league. The all league pack is better value. Also it allows you to play the season as your favourite team letting you try and better the real life results.

FIFA 10 Store – In here you’ll find all the downloadable content for FIFA 10 ranging from different commentary languages to Virtual Pro upgrades. What’s that T-Bear? But I thought you had to complete challenges to get your pro upgraded? Hush, my child. These may be upgrades but they are not free!! For example, for 80 MS Points you’ll be able to buy the Goal Machine upgrade that will upgrade your shooting attributes to 85 for 5 matches! It’s up to how vulnerable your Ego is as to whether or not you’ll take up the option of these little perks…. UAV IS ONLINE...sorry….the word perk just reminded me of COD. Apologies.

Fifa 10 Review, an EA game Stadiu10

Ultimately everything combines to create a stunning addition to the football genre despite some minor flaws. With practice you can master the subtle nuances of the game and master strengths of teams that previously remained untapped in Fifa 09. Tons of features, smooth online game modes and great visuals along with fast, flowing gameplay leave you with a Football Sim that is easily the best in the FIFA series and well worth a look for any football fan.

In the back of the net for a
9/10.

palindromic BOB
palindromic BOB
Mildly Addicted
Mildly Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Palindromic Bob
Number of posts : 996
Registration date : 2009-01-27
TGD Reputation : 63
TGD Elite Member Points : 6786

Back to top Go down

Fifa 10 Review, an EA game Empty Re: Fifa 10 Review, an EA game

Post  Hendo 259 Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:09 am

Brilliant review, I couldn't agree with you more.
Hendo 259
Hendo 259
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : Hendo 259
Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-09-29
TGD Reputation : 11
TGD Elite Member Points : 5606

Back to top Go down

Post  sophosuni Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:50 am

Great review. Fifa 10 is a great game. I have noticed though that at times goalkeepers are over vulnerable to chip shots and apparently there is a bug in the manager mode where the AI sells your players without asking. There is supposed to be an update for the manager mode bug soon.
sophosuni
sophosuni
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : sophosuni
Number of posts : 1071
Registration date : 2009-09-20
TGD Reputation : 40
TGD Elite Member Points : 6593

Back to top Go down

Post  garymason72 Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:24 pm

great review guys, fifa 10 really is one of the best footie games i have played.

I have also noticed that the keeper comes off his line and can be chipped, all you need to do i run down the center of the pitch straight at the keeper as you reach the 18 yard box just tap the X button and you will lob him pretty much everytime. you will get a minus points for a missed pass though.
garymason72
garymason72
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Garymason72
Number of posts : 2506
Registration date : 2009-02-16
TGD Reputation : 171
TGD Elite Member Points : 8354

Back to top Go down

Post  palindromic BOB Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:25 pm

Goalkeepers where always that wee bit vulnerable to chips if you got them in the right situation. Difference now is the fact that they'll make an attempt to save it most of the time. Not stand staring into space.
palindromic BOB
palindromic BOB
Mildly Addicted
Mildly Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Palindromic Bob
Number of posts : 996
Registration date : 2009-01-27
TGD Reputation : 63
TGD Elite Member Points : 6786

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:58 pm

well done thunderpants!

A great review of a great game Very Happy
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25627

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Post  BBK Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:06 pm

Great review. The game is SO good I'm seriously considering not getting PES this year, which would be a first for a long, long time.
BBK
BBK
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : bbk70
Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2009-05-08
TGD Reputation : 5
TGD Elite Member Points : 5616

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:49 pm

I think PES will be totally eclipsed by Fifa this year. Doesnt help that there are 4 AAA games out this Friday including PES while Fifa was on its own for its launch

Back to top Go down

Post  iFINGER Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:02 pm

Couldn't agree more, I do hope that EA continues to push Fifa each year and hopefully the next installment will be even better, although my thoughts are that Fifa 11 will be the same model with some polish -I'm saying that's a bad thing, after all Fifa is superb but I would like certain things to be ironed out.
iFINGER
iFINGER
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : iFINGER
Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2009-09-28
TGD Reputation : 9
TGD Elite Member Points : 5558

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content