The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wander Review

5 posters

Go down

Wander Review Empty Wander Review

Post  Ba5sett Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:40 pm

Wander Review Image12

Developer: Wander MMO
Formats: PS4, PC
Version Reviewed: PS4

Wander is a game that in many ways is very unique, this is a multiplayer adventure game where the focus is on exploring the world and uncovering the mysteries that it holds. There is no combat, no levelling up. Voice and text chat is non existent instead the game gives you a new language to discover and learn. In a world of endless sequels and remakes the developer has to be commended for trying something different, unfortunately the game is plagued by technical issues that undermine its impressive ambition.

Wander Review Image10

The game is set on a peaceful tropical island, there is no death and very little direction given to what you need to do, you are simply encouraged to explore and discover the game yourself. This sense of security is liberating and meandering around the island can be relaxing and enjoyable however this is where problem number one presents itself. For a game like this to work the player needs to be successfully immersed in the game world, and while the world can sometimes look very pretty graphical glitches break that immersion on a near constant basis, bushes trees and foliage randomly disappears and reappears or flickers horribly. The same is true of shadows, rocks, water and pretty much everything else in the world. Indoor areas seem to fare a little better and there are some interesting places to explore  among the islands cave system.

You start the game as an oren which is basically a large walking tree, this is fun for a while although the avatar moves very slowly which combined with the temperamental sprint button which only seems to work about 25% of the time. This  lends the early stages a ponderous pace which quickly gets tiresome, luckily you can transform into various other species, by discovering locations in the game that let you transform I discovered a human like race, a flying griffin and a lizard.

Wander Review Image11

If you can try to put the technical issues out of your mind  then the game is very peaceful to play, with no identified objectives simply wandering around and exploring and trying to discover the secrets of the island can be quite enjoyable, the sound is very good with the sounds of the forest and lapping waves on the beach very well represented, the music is also very minimal but very nice when it does make an appearance (cleverly the music only kicks in when you are close to an objective which allows the game to have a minimalist HUD and helping the player to focus on the world). Although the game is rather empty, there are a lot of nice things to look at in the game but beyond that there isn’t really a great deal to do.

The game is an MMO although in practice this is fairly irrelevant, I saw very few other players in my time with the game and communicating is very difficult .The game has its own language called rozhda that is the only way of communicating with other players, you find words on stones around the world and input them into the game by drawing a symbol on the ps4 touch pad and then tapping with two fingers. In practice I found this so fiddly that I ended up just giving up. The other people I encountered seem to have felt the same as I didn’t encounter a single person who was able to successfully say anything to me.

Wander Review Image13

When I initially heard about Wander I really wanted it to work as it sounded like a really interesting game that was trying to do something different. While  this is the case it is very difficult to recommend due to its technical shortcomings and empty world.

3/10
Ba5sett
Ba5sett
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Ba5sett
Number of posts : 3288
Registration date : 2009-09-18
TGD Reputation : 58
TGD Elite Member Points : 9079

Back to top Go down

Wander Review Empty Re: Wander Review

Post  Colne Crusader Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:37 pm

Good work.

I am saddened by this as I was totally intrigued by this game. Also, the industry really needs new ideas like this to be successful.
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Colne Crusader
Number of posts : 6893
Registration date : 2010-04-21
TGD Reputation : 158
TGD Elite Member Points : 13386

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:28 am

A great shame and a missed opportunity.

Thanks for the review mate
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25634

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Post  minkey_monkey Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:34 am

Good review bud
minkey_monkey
minkey_monkey
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Minkey M0nkey
Number of posts : 8100
Registration date : 2009-05-12
TGD Reputation : 204
TGD Elite Member Points : 14212

Back to top Go down

Post  Ba5sett Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:30 pm

I reckon if the price of this was a bit lower and they issued a significant patch to sort out the technical problems then it would be worth a go
Ba5sett
Ba5sett
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Ba5sett
Number of posts : 3288
Registration date : 2009-09-18
TGD Reputation : 58
TGD Elite Member Points : 9079

Back to top Go down

Post  TreeMunky Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:54 am

Great piece fella, made for a interesting read. Hadn't heard of this game I wonder if graphically it fairs better on the PC? Thanks for posting up.
TreeMunky
TreeMunky
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : TreeMunky
Number of posts : 1773
Registration date : 2012-01-30
TGD Reputation : 28
TGD Elite Member Points : 6703

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content