The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Lego Movie Videogame

+7
RabidHellBunny
TitChz
stubbymite
minkey_monkey
Waggly Bean
KENT HAMMER
GrahamOfTheDead
11 posters

Go down

The Lego Movie Videogame Empty The Lego Movie Videogame

Post  GrahamOfTheDead Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:12 pm

The Lego Movie Videogame Legomovievideogame_zps58fe0e64

THE LEGO MOVIE VIDEOGAME

DEVELOPER: TRAVELLER'S TALES
PUBLISHER: WB GAMES
PLATFORM: XBOX 360

The Lego brand has been around for over 60 years. Every child since then has had some experience playing with the legendary construction toy, be it building random models or rigidly sticking to the instructions in the box. Over time Lego have branched out from their original themed playsets, to licenced sets. From big names such as Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Marvel, DC and Lord of the Rings to less successful themes like Speed Racer, Prince of Persia and The Lone Ranger.

Building (no pun intended) on the success of the toys, Lego have moved in to other areas. The most obvious spin-off is the line of video games developed by Traveller's Tales, the latest of which is based on another Lego venture....their venture in to cinema.

The Lego Movie Videogame 6c247bb2a63e6e07169d77a356ade79bb15e24b2jpg__0x529_q85_upscale_zps665aef9c

The Lego Movie has been a bit of a phenomenon. Reviews have been almost universally positive and children and adults alike have been enchanted by the tale of Emmet, a regular Lego construction worker, who discovers he could be something a LOT more important. The film spans many different Lego themes and is packed full of surprises, which I would spoil if I mentioned any more of the plot. In fact, the game follows the story of the film almost exactly. So because of that I'd have to recommend avoiding if you're planning to see it in the cinema any time soon.

On to the game itself and, first off, if you've ever played a Lego game in recent years you know exactly what to expect with The Lego Movie. Not much has changed in terms of gameplay. At it's heart it's still a standard 3D platformer. The initial hub is viewed from a 3rd person viewpoint while the actual levels are viewed from a series of fixed views. There are 15 fairly substantial stages to play through and as with other Lego games there are collectibles scattered within. This is where the majority of the replay value comes from, as you unlock characters with different abilities that will then allow you to get previously unreachable items.

Those who have played either of the Lego Batman games will be familiar with a lot of the abilities. It's no secret that a selection of DC characters appear in the movie and, as a result, they also feature in this game. Batman's batarang and grapple rope are invaluable as are Superman's flight and heat vision. Your main character, Emmet, also has a couple of important abilities with him being one of few characters able to repair machinery or drill special areas.

There is always something featured to set each Lego game apart from the others. Star Wars III had real-time strategy sections. Lord of the Rings introduced some minor RPG elements. The eclectic cast of characters would normally be enough, but the Lego Movie Videogame also includes some minigames to keep you on your toes. There's a rhythm game which occurs a couple of times and a Pac-Man style maze game when you try to hack computers. They're all pretty easy but don't crop up often enough to annoy.

The Lego Movie Videogame The_LEGO_Movie_Videogame__Construction_Site_zps457f5657

There are also a couple of unique twists on building. The usual Lego building action is there, but on ocassion you will be confronted with "instruction builds" which only construction workers can complete using instruction pages scattered nearby. You then need to select the correct pieces in order to proceed. The faster you complete it, the bigger your reward. There are also "master builds" where seemingly random objects can be selected and formed in to some weird and wonderful creations. It's not much, but it adds a little bit more variety to a formula that at times seems perilously close to becoming stale.

If there are any drawbacks to this game then it's in the longevity. After finishing Lego Marvel Superheroes recently (and, to a greater extent, Lego City Undercover on the Wii U last year), The Lego Movie comes across as pretty minuscule in comparison. The world feels smaller. There isn't as much to unlock and there are fewer collectibles to hunt for. As fun as it is, you just can't shake that nagging feeling that it isn't giving as much value for money as previous titles. It won't take as much time to complete and the replay value of Lego games upon reaching 100% is always lacking. It feels like a bit of a step back in that regard.

Back to the positives though. It looks great and sounds great. The music, FX and dialogue are almost all lifted directly from the movie itself and the cutscenes are all actual movie clips which is an obvious first for the Lego series. Also, after experiencing several huge glitches in Lego Marvel, I was pleased to get through this game almost glitch-free, save for one console freeze while hunting collectibles.

The Lego Movie Videogame TheLegoMovieVideogame-4_zps1b94406d

Overall, this game was a great surprise. I was initially concerned, as this game seemed like an afterthought for Traveller's Tales. Especially considering that we're only a couple of months out from their last game (Lego Marvel) and less than 2 months away from their next one (The Hobbit). I shouldn't have been too worried though. Yes, it's relatively short compared to recent Lego games but the presentation and the sheer sense of fun should win most people over. I mean, where else will you be able to team up Green Lantern with Shakespeare?

8/10

Okay....all together now!

GrahamOfTheDead
GrahamOfTheDead
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : GrahamOfTheDead
Number of posts : 4572
Registration date : 2009-10-30
TGD Reputation : 109
TGD Elite Member Points : 11101

Back to top Go down

The Lego Movie Videogame Empty Re: The Lego Movie Videogame

Post  KENT HAMMER Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:17 pm

Stellar review mate!!!

Can't wait to see both the movie and play the game now!!
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25638

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Post  GrahamOfTheDead Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:21 pm

KENT HAMMER wrote:Stellar review mate!!!

Can't wait to see both the movie and play the game now!!

Like I said in the review, SEE THE MOVIE FIRST.
GrahamOfTheDead
GrahamOfTheDead
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:51 pm

I enjoyed reading that mate. Taking kids to see the movie on Saturday.

Back to top Go down

Post  Waggly Bean Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:56 pm

Great review GOTD!

I'm also feeling the need to go and see this film, and it's nice to know that the game tie-in is another worthy addition to the Lego series. Will add it to my list of games to bargain-hunt in future! Wink
Waggly Bean
Waggly Bean
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Waggly Bean
Number of posts : 3382
Registration date : 2011-04-21
TGD Reputation : 22
TGD Elite Member Points : 8561

Back to top Go down

Post  minkey_monkey Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:39 am

Good review fella. I was a bit concerned they were milking the games a little, but sounds like this is one for the list Smile
minkey_monkey
minkey_monkey
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Minkey M0nkey
Number of posts : 8100
Registration date : 2009-05-12
TGD Reputation : 204
TGD Elite Member Points : 14216

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbymite Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:39 am

Nice work mate
stubbymite
stubbymite
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : StubbyMite
Number of posts : 4312
Registration date : 2010-05-21
TGD Reputation : 90
TGD Elite Member Points : 10074

Back to top Go down

Post  TitChz Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:59 am

Awesome Review GOTD!

Really Enjoyed the read
love the Lego Games but was a little worried that the main character would be overshadowed by the Huge Cast of lego they had but glad thats not the Case! once iv seen the Film ill be sure to Pick this up Smile
TitChz
TitChz
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : TitChz
Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2013-06-19
TGD Reputation : 0
TGD Elite Member Points : 4251

Back to top Go down

Post  RabidHellBunny Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:12 pm

My current man bought me this for Valentine's day... now I need him to take me to see the film before I can play it! Nice review GotD.
RabidHellBunny
RabidHellBunny
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : RabidHellBunny
Number of posts : 3375
Registration date : 2009-03-26
TGD Reputation : 141
TGD Elite Member Points : 9157

Back to top Go down

Post  Tricky34 Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:30 pm

Great review Graham, i really want to see the Movie, hopefully i''l get to see it either over the weekend, or early next week. As for the game i'll keep an eye out for a bargain offer.
Tricky34
Tricky34
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Tricky34
Number of posts : 7255
Registration date : 2009-05-31
TGD Reputation : 152
TGD Elite Member Points : 13308

Back to top Go down

Post  Waggly Bean Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:37 pm

RabidHellBunny wrote:My current man bought me this for Valentine's day... now I need him to take me to see the film before I can play it!
Ha, he didn't think that through, did he? Razz
Waggly Bean
Waggly Bean
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Waggly Bean
Number of posts : 3382
Registration date : 2011-04-21
TGD Reputation : 22
TGD Elite Member Points : 8561

Back to top Go down

Post  mosher666 Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:38 pm

Great review mate

Concerning the movie it is great, bit lacking in narrative but it is a kids film so that is to be expected. Would recommend that everyone see it
mosher666
mosher666
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Mosher666
Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2010-09-09
TGD Reputation : 80
TGD Elite Member Points : 6774

Back to top Go down

Post  Colne Crusader Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:02 pm

A great read mate. Puts the game firmly on my radar.
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Colne Crusader
Number of posts : 6893
Registration date : 2010-04-21
TGD Reputation : 158
TGD Elite Member Points : 13390

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Lar 1 Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:00 pm

Awesome review mate. I've seen the movie and loved it so went and got the game and can't wait to start this.
Kev Lar 1
Kev Lar 1
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Kev Lar 1
Number of posts : 3259
Registration date : 2009-01-26
TGD Reputation : 70
TGD Elite Member Points : 9477

Back to top Go down

Post  GrahamOfTheDead Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:13 pm

Cheers everyone!

Got 100% on this earlier this evening. A couple of sneaky gold bricks had me looking up a guide.
GrahamOfTheDead
GrahamOfTheDead
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post  RabidHellBunny Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:08 pm

Waggly Bean wrote:
RabidHellBunny wrote:My current man bought me this for Valentine's day... now I need him to take me to see the film before I can play it!
Ha, he didn't think that through, did he? Razz

No and now he's saying he's not interested in seeing it at the cinema... now what do I do?? I was thinking about telling him to wear the suspenders and cook the dinner (not at the same time) but I don't think I want to see that or eat that (the dinner not the suspenders). I'll just pull my sulky face and hope that works.
RabidHellBunny
RabidHellBunny
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : RabidHellBunny
Number of posts : 3375
Registration date : 2009-03-26
TGD Reputation : 141
TGD Elite Member Points : 9157

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content