The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ubisoft Dumps Online Pass System

3 posters

Go down

Ubisoft Dumps Online Pass System Empty Ubisoft Dumps Online Pass System

Post  KENT HAMMER Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:19 am

Ubisoft is dumping its Uplay Passport program for all future games, the publisher has announced.

The Online Pass system required those that bought the game second-hand to spend another $10 to access locked off features.

However, just like EA in May of this year, that system is now being ditched. Ubisoft has announced that the system is now being abandoned, and free passes will also be provided to owners of the recently released Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag.

Uplay and ACIV: Black Flag made headlines recently, for blocking off single-player content for those without an Online Pass, a move that many felt went too far.

“In Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag, ‘Edward's Fleet’ is an innovative online single player feature that allows players to interact with multiple players on consoles or via the game's companion app,” Ubisoft has said in a statement released overnight.

“Every new copy of Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag includes the Uplay Passport code needed to unlock this online feature. However, we listen to our community and understand that there are concerns over some players' ability to access this feature, so we have decided to eliminate the cost of the Uplay Passport for Black Flag.

“This ensures that everyone will be able to use the companion app, Edward's Fleet, online multiplayer and available bonus content at no additional cost.”

“Also, we will be eliminating the Uplay Passport program from all future Ubisoft games moving forward.”
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25634

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Ubisoft Dumps Online Pass System Empty Re: Ubisoft Dumps Online Pass System

Post  minkey_monkey Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:55 pm

I don't know about anyone else but I feel like the gaming community is being listened to more recently by the gaming devs etc. yeah they will probably find another way to get money from us soon but at the moment it is nice to feel the gamers are getting listened to on the products we want etc Smile
minkey_monkey
minkey_monkey
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Minkey M0nkey
Number of posts : 8100
Registration date : 2009-05-12
TGD Reputation : 204
TGD Elite Member Points : 14212

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:51 pm

minkey_monkey wrote:I don't know about anyone else but I feel like the gaming community is being listened to more recently by the gaming devs etc. yeah they will probably find another way to get money from us soon but at the moment it is nice to feel the gamers are getting listened to on the products we want etc Smile

not sure

I reckon these twats and those at EA have worked out that the cost for having this online pass cock is not being met by the revenue it has generated or if it has then certainly not enough to offset the lost sales and bad taste

With Blockcockbusters and the local games shops dying out the second hand market has lost a main source of trade too

I think they smell micropayment as their fleecing future

There is no way on God's green earth that these publishers are ever going to look at putting the gamer first before profit imho

Back to top Go down

Post  Riled Wolf Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:52 pm

Freemium and micro transaction based games are proving to be an unprofitable and in some cases unpopular route.

some good examples are Microsoft flight which was shut down in less than a year and C&C Generals 2 which has just been canned as fans complained they want it to be a full retail game not a Freemium game it was being built to be so now they get neither Evil or Very Mad (just to point out generals was my favourite strategy game)

If i had to guess i would say the next stage could be to include a one time use activation code similar to the way pc games are (and have been for the past ten years) or to focus on digital distribution only as both these would ruin the second hand market
Riled Wolf
Riled Wolf
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Riled Wolf
Number of posts : 1460
Registration date : 2010-05-15
TGD Reputation : 138
TGD Elite Member Points : 7289

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:02 pm

that's probably right riled matey

if everything is bought via a download then its a piece of piss to wipe out secondhand by tying the download to the console its purchased on

Lots of reasons why this removal of online pass is happening, but being kind to us is certainly not one of them

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum