The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Secret of Monkey Island Collection

+3
KENT HAMMER
minkey_monkey
Slayer1189
7 posters

Go down

The Secret of Monkey Island Collection Empty The Secret of Monkey Island Collection

Post  Slayer1189 Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:00 am

The Secret of Monkey Island Collection Banner734

Name of Game: The Secret of Monkey Island Collection

Style of Game: Point ‘n’ Click

Story: The tales of Guybrush Threepwood, on a crazy path to become a famous pirate. The games consist of a series of riddles with complex, nonsensical solutions. The whole story is carried along by the amazing humour from Ron Gilbert (who also worked on Deathspank).

Graphics: Both games have the option to play with the retro graphics they had when they were first released over 20 years ago, or with re-skinned graphics. The updated graphics are markedly improved from the original but are nothing outstanding and still cartoon-like… then again, these games rely on gameplay and humour as opposed to great visuals.

Sound: Not a great deal of sound present but dialogue is voice acted fairly well.

Difficulty: The difficulty of these games greatly depends on the individual players’ ability to solve the riddles/puzzles. Hints are always available – though sometimes well hidden – and the solutions always make sense based on the information provided, even though illogical (unlike some point ‘n’ click games).

Achievements: The difficulties of the achievements come mostly from the difficulty of the games themselves. If a player can finish both games they can probably attain all of the achievements. Both games do include achievements for not using hints and completing the game within a certain time - however, if players take their time with a first run-through these achievements should be easily enough cleared up in a second run of the games.

Brief thoughts: In my opinion The Secret of Monkey Island series are my favourite point ‘n’ click games. I enjoy the humour and working out what to do next won’t strain your brain compared to other games of this type. I do feel that The Secret of Monkey Island is very cleverly designed compared to the sequel, which has a lot of loops and a more linear feel to it. Although I feel the first game is the superior of the two, the second is still definitely worth playing if you enjoy the first. It’s also worth noting that these games can be purchased separately for 800MSP on XBLA, or as retail disc containing both games.

Rating:
The Secret of Monkey Island: 8/10
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge: 6/10

Overall Score: 7/10

Slayer1189
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : Slayer1189
Number of posts : 295
Registration date : 2012-01-19
TGD Reputation : 0
TGD Elite Member Points : 4909

Back to top Go down

The Secret of Monkey Island Collection Empty Re: The Secret of Monkey Island Collection

Post  minkey_monkey Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:39 am

Good review chap. I love these games, think i might have to play through them both again soon, I keep meaning to. Smile
minkey_monkey
minkey_monkey
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Minkey M0nkey
Number of posts : 8100
Registration date : 2009-05-12
TGD Reputation : 204
TGD Elite Member Points : 14210

Back to top Go down

The Secret of Monkey Island Collection Empty Re: The Secret of Monkey Island Collection

Post  KENT HAMMER Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:53 pm

good work mate.

Point and click leaves me cold though, although Walking dead is an exception.
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25632

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Post  Tenlo Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:08 pm

Great review as ever Slayer! I have to disagree with your comment about Monkey Island 2 being the worst of the two but I'd be bias as I jumped in at no 2 rather than 1 and actually ended up playing Day of the Tentacle before Monkey Island one in fact so I was more used to the wackier side of point n clicks!
Tenlo
Tenlo
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Tenlo
Number of posts : 4825
Registration date : 2011-02-03
TGD Reputation : 187
TGD Elite Member Points : 11944

Back to top Go down

Post  Slayer1189 Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:38 pm

@Kent - I agree The walking Dead is so unique for the genre it doesn't even feel like playing a Point 'n' Click. I'd say Monkey island feels more like a puzzle game which is why I enjoy it. Many point 'n' clicks I feel find boring with dull humour.

@Tenlo - Day of the Tentacle is a game I heard about a few years ago and was quite intrigued to try it out. Due to it being a PC game though I tend to always say i'll get round to it later. Thanks for the reminder Razz

Slayer1189
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : Slayer1189
Number of posts : 295
Registration date : 2012-01-19
TGD Elite Member Points : 4909

Back to top Go down

Post  Colne Crusader Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:11 pm

Great stuff mate!

These games have been dear to my heart for years! I do prefer no 2 myself though, I must say!

I really hope we get Monkey 3 and 4 on Live Arcade! I would love that!
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Colne Crusader
Number of posts : 6893
Registration date : 2010-04-21
TGD Reputation : 158
TGD Elite Member Points : 13384

Back to top Go down

Post  Sh00t3rmcgavin2 Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:17 pm

Nice work mate Very Happy
Sh00t3rmcgavin2
Sh00t3rmcgavin2
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Sh00t3rmcgavin2
Number of posts : 1513
Registration date : 2011-12-21
TGD Elite Member Points : 6186

Back to top Go down

Post  D3M0NiZe Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:58 pm

@Tenlo - Day of the Tentacle is a game I heard about a few years ago and was quite intrigued to try it out. Due to it being a PC game though I tend to always say i'll get round to it later. Thanks for the reminder

IMHO The Day Of The Tentacle was the best adventure ever...an absolute masterpiece.
D3M0NiZe
D3M0NiZe
Mildly Addicted
Mildly Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : D3M0NiZe
Number of posts : 781
Registration date : 2010-03-07
TGD Reputation : 26
TGD Elite Member Points : 6078

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum