The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Birds of steel

5 posters

Go down

Birds of steel Empty Birds of steel

Post  Guest Wed May 30, 2012 9:55 pm

Birds of steel Birds-10

Official Site: http://www.birdsofsteel.com/
Developer: Gaijin Entertainment
try demo here

A few years ago, Gaijin Entertainment surprised many gamers with a title that came out of the blue, a decent flight simulator for games consoles. IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey gave gamers a realistic flight simulation. Now, three years later, Konami brings gamers back to World War II, we again get to take the controls of a fighter and fight in the skies of the Pacific, where we relive the most exciting and dangerous air and naval battles in history.
Birds of steel Birds-of-steel.33236181

Gameplay: Absolutely amazing flight model and physics engine for a console game. It can be a beast just trying to take off and keep your plane in the air, but so rewarding. Actually pulling off a carrier landing in a thunderstorm with high wind on simulation setting is about as difficult as anything in gaming, but man does it feel good to do. The AI is quite good, except for the occasional collision between friendlies. It does feel like you are fighting other gamers in the dogfights though. The physics engine just really makes the combat stand out. Being able to pick apart pieces of your enemy’s plane just feels right. Blowing a hole in their fuselage and seeing your screen go black as it coats with oil is a great touch. Watching pilots bail out as there plane breaks to pieces and explodes in a fireball just never gets old. The developers model everything down to the smallest detail. Take a dive too fast with your landing gear out, and you may see a wheel or two rip off. The difficulty modes give great variety for every type of player, but this game is fairly challenging no matter what setting. Simplified makes it impossible to stall and the flight are pretty much easier. You still have to control things like landing gear though. Realistic cranks up the difficulty and adds stalls and spins. Simulation is for the hard-core only. It adds propeller flutter, black outs, red outs, removes the HUD. And makes just shooting down any enemy feel like a grand achievement. The best part is that you can also use the "custom" difficulty level that allows you to tweak everything form plane damage, to the HUD, to the flight model. There are also a ton of modes to play with. Main campaigns, online, dynamic campaigns, solo missions, and even creates your own mission modes. There are even encyclopaedia’s for history buffs, a hangar to view all the planes in detail (and paint them), and even a replay mode that lets you replay the whole mission with different camera angles and speeds and save it! There is also great pacing with the unlocking of content within the game. Play everything on easy mode, and it will take a while to unlock the dozens of planes, but crank it up and although it is MUCH harder, you will see huge rewards for completing missions. I just can't get over the amount of content packed into this game.

Birds of steel _-Birds-of-Steel-PS3-_
Graphics: The landscapes, water, sky, clouds, lighting, and everything in the environment look stunning. The ground even looks good up close, which is more than most flight games can claim. It is great to see the details like crewmen running around working on the carriers while you are taking off and landing. The planes themselves are the stars here though, and they do not disappoint. Each one is designed with full destructibility and moving parts. I believe there are over 100 planes, and they all look amazing. You can also change paint jobs/decals and weapon load outs, once you unlock them. The planes themselves are richly detailed, and the cockpits in particular have been lavished with attention.

Sound: To be fair, it couldn't be much better. The music is all classical music similar to the scores on battle of Britain or battle of the bulge and other movies of the genre which suits this well. The combat sounds are breath taking though. From the booms of shells going off near your plane, to the hum of the propeller, to the wheel squeaks and wind rattles while landing, to the wind buffeting and pulling at the rivets as you stall and go into a nose dive, everything here is tip top.
Lasting appeal: Pacific War campaign as both USA and Japan, a mission editor, extensive public multiplayer and co-op modes are all here to add excellent value for money.
Birds of steel Missio10
Achievements: 95% of them are relatively easy. You typically earn an achievement for each ‘round of conflict’, (example: All Pearl Harbour missions, all The Battle of Midway missions) with an additional achievement available permission for passing certain criteria, or amassing a certain number of kills. There are a couple which require play on the higher difficulty levels, but apparently you can customize your settings to help it play easier and the cheevs still pop, happy days! Even the multiplayer ones are fairly simple. I have no doubt that this is definitely a completion to be had no to mention a bloody fun one.

The best flight sim to ever grace a game console?
Well I won’t argue with that 9/10

Back to top Go down

Birds of steel Empty Re: Birds of steel

Post  KENT HAMMER Wed May 30, 2012 10:42 pm

Sounds great mate!

I always struggle with flight games though, just tend to find myself spinning round and getting wound up.
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25634

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 30, 2012 10:55 pm

Thanks mate this is the first flight sim I have ever really got stuck into. I cant stop playing it at the moment. The demo doesn't really do it justice as its the co op and multiplayer that the game comes alive. Shooting americans and japs over pearl harbour with mates what could be better

Back to top Go down

Post  Tricky34 Thu May 31, 2012 9:51 am

Great review mate, sounds like a fun game. I haven't really bothered with any flight sim type games on the 360, but might keep my eye out for a cheap copy of this. Just queued up the demo for download later.
Tricky34
Tricky34
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Tricky34
Number of posts : 7255
Registration date : 2009-05-31
TGD Reputation : 152
TGD Elite Member Points : 13304

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 31, 2012 9:58 am

nice review matey

I used to love flight combat sims on the amiga and pc and so I may have to break my rule of not buying anymore games to get this

Thanks for your efforts in bringing this title to our attention fella

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbymite Thu May 31, 2012 10:36 am

wow graphically this game looks brilliant.

i am not one for flight sims but this does look like a good game. I may look at this one in the future Smile
stubbymite
stubbymite
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : StubbyMite
Number of posts : 4312
Registration date : 2010-05-21
TGD Reputation : 90
TGD Elite Member Points : 10070

Back to top Go down

Post  Colne Crusader Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:09 am

Good review Mate!

It's a game that I would have overlooked completely in the throng, but I wouldn't mind trying this out sometime now! You've sold it well! It looks really good. There seems to be a comprehensive history lesson in the game too which can't be bad.

Nice one chap!
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Colne Crusader
Number of posts : 6893
Registration date : 2010-04-21
TGD Reputation : 158
TGD Elite Member Points : 13386

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:10 am

Cheers mate
One thing I forgot to mention in reference to the history is it's narrated by Steven Fry!

Back to top Go down

Post  Colne Crusader Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:51 pm

Markav wrote:Cheers mate
One thing I forgot to mention in reference to the history is it's narrated by Steven Fry!

Kif!! Even better! I'll defo get this one day!
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Colne Crusader
Number of posts : 6893
Registration date : 2010-04-21
TGD Reputation : 158
TGD Elite Member Points : 13386

Back to top Go down

Post  Leigh36295 Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:49 pm

Started playing this yesterday and have just finished the american campaign and I'm loving it. It has a pretty big learning curve but once you get used to it, it's epic. Played my first online match yesterday and managed to get the achievement for winning, so was happy with that. Gonna start the Japanese camaign now and will no doubt spend the rest of the day on it.
Leigh36295
Leigh36295
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Leigh36295
Number of posts : 3988
Registration date : 2009-10-23
TGD Reputation : 198
TGD Elite Member Points : 10130

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:30 pm

Glad to hear someone else enjoying this epic game!
enjoy mate

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum