Games With Gold from a developer's viewpoint.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Games With Gold from a developer's viewpoint.

Post  Colne Crusader on Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:48 pm

Here's a brief insight to Games With Gold and PS+ from the view of Compulsion Games' Sam Abbot who of course gave away Contrast on the PS+ service last November. If, like me, you wondered how a company might benefit from giving away their product, this gives a brief insight from the inside.......

Asked to comment on Games with Gold as part of a Reddit AMA, Compulsion's Sam Abbot described it as "a great thing if you manage it properly".

"We don't have experience with GwG, but PS+ certainly helped us promote our game," he went on. "But, it also came with a bunch of things we didn't expect.

"There's a weird human psychological thing where if you get something for free, you value it less than if you had bought it. So, people say 'Oh, I got it for free, so you shouldn't buy it'. That's weird.

"And, what's more, people who would never have bought the game in the first place say that - often, going on bizarre crusades about how Microsoft or Sony 'stole' from them by giving them a game they didn't want. People are weird, sometimes.

"But, on the upside, it's awesome for us to have had so many people play our game. That means more than you might think - people now say 'oh yeah, I heard of your game', as opposed to 'who are you?' And by people I mean my friends."

Abbott was unable to disclose how the PS+ deal came about. Apparently "each deal is different", though. "I've heard of [developers being paid] lump sums," he wrote. "Not sure what else goes on."

Could Contrast have made more money, if it were sold directly to players rather than given away in return for unspecified service provider payouts? "You know, that's a really hard question to answer. We think about it all the time."

It sounds like the arrangement may bear repeating, however. "I think, on the whole, it was a very good experience. We're still a very new studio, and having a lot of people play our game is a great way to build a reputation. We're not millionaires, but maybe we'll be able to make our next game without selling our souls to the wrong people."

SOURCE: Totalxbox.com
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Colne Crusader
Number of posts : 6886
Registration date : 2010-04-21
TGD Reputation : 158
TGD Elite Member Points : 10915

Back to top Go down

Re: Games With Gold from a developer's viewpoint.

Post  Waggly Bean on Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:44 pm

Interesting read. Hopefully the overall positive note means devs will be more open to letting their games go free with GwG.

Unless of course they don't have a say anyway and MS just tell them their game is going to go free as it's on their service - who knows how it works??
Waggly Bean
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Waggly Bean
Number of posts : 3373
Registration date : 2011-04-21
TGD Reputation : 22
TGD Elite Member Points : 6088

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER on Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Interesting article.

I always wondered how it paid off, I guess lump sums is the answer, but its not really clear

KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13806
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 23148

http://www.TheGamesDen.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ba5sett on Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:04 pm

Interesting read, I saw something similar from the Thomas was alone creator who said that putting the game on ps plus was amazing as it generated loads of buzz on social media and he ended up selling more copies on other formats and the buzz lasted beyond the ps plus month resulting in further sales, I guess a lot depends on the quality of the games etc.
Ba5sett
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Ba5sett
Number of posts : 3286
Registration date : 2009-09-18
TGD Reputation : 58
TGD Elite Member Points : 6617

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:18 pm

everything is down to the quality of the title for me

If you have a game that is shit then its still shit even if its free

on the other hand a good game might go undiscovered and un tried because its priced wrong and then the ps+ gwg model could be a brilliant way of getting it into peoples consciousness

I like the one recognised big seller title and one upcoming studio release structure that seems to have become the recent norm of the two platforms

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum