I Am Alive (but it'd be better if he just died)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I Am Alive (but it'd be better if he just died)

Post  Waggly Bean on Thu May 15, 2014 9:04 am

I actually think I hate this game. I am maybe half way through the game so far and feel the need to finish it but I really can't manage to play more than an hour or so at a time.

The exploration side of the game is reasonably fun, but the way you encounter enemies is just a pain in the arse, consisting of surprise killing one person, pointing your gun at the rest, kicking them into hazards, knocking them out if they submit (which seems rare) or shooting them with your very limited bullets. There is absolutely no stealth option, so if you're out of bullets I assume you'd be pretty much fucked. I wanted this to be great like SOS The Final Escape but it failed miserably to meet my expectations.

I paid for this game so I want to get my money's worth and to at least finish one run through, but I don't know if I can do it!

Can't wait to see the back of it! What was everyone else's thoughts (for those of you who have been daft enough to buy it)?
Waggly Bean
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Waggly Bean
Number of posts : 3373
Registration date : 2011-04-21
TGD Reputation : 22
TGD Elite Member Points : 6027

Back to top Go down

Re: I Am Alive (but it'd be better if he just died)

Post  Colne Crusader on Thu May 15, 2014 10:10 am

I think I've spoken about this recently so i wont bang on. There are some good ideas but its poorly implemented overall. A missed opportunity methinks.

It seems to me that the end product is just a small portion of what it was originally meant to be as the entire game is taken up by a quest that is nothing to do with the protagonist's original objective. The ending is complete nonsense and will make you smash your controller.

I actually quite like the combat ideas. They just needed better mechanics. It is annoying how there is no stealth ability as you say.

The explorative aspect is complete bollox as most of the time you are punished for looking around as you have to use resources to stay alive in the dust so you end up just legging it to the next safe area instead.
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Colne Crusader
Number of posts : 6886
Registration date : 2010-04-21
TGD Reputation : 158
TGD Elite Member Points : 10854

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabhlan on Thu May 15, 2014 6:00 pm

I paid about €3 for my copy. Not started it yet but at that price it won't have to do much for me to get my money out of it Smile It's one of those titles like Hydrophobia, that was going to be a big full title release but then collapsed so the manage to release a snippit of what the actual game would have been. So it's really like your' playing an Alpha/Beta of what it should have been had it actually been finished.
Gabhlan
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Gabhlan
Number of posts : 2394
Registration date : 2009-03-24
TGD Reputation : 31
TGD Elite Member Points : 5629

Back to top Go down

Post  Waggly Bean on Thu May 15, 2014 9:55 pm

Gabhlan wrote:I paid about €3 for my copy. Not started it yet but at that price it won't have to do much for me to get my money out of it Smile It's one of those titles like Hydrophobia, that was going to be a big full title release but then collapsed so the manage to release a snippit of what the actual game would have been. So it's really like your' playing an Alpha/Beta of what it should have been had it actually been finished.
To put this into perspective, I quite enjoyed Hydrophobia. Wink   Only complaint was the rubbish mid-story ending.

I also bought I Am Alive on sale (thankfully) but was just expecting a bit more.
Waggly Bean
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabhlan on Fri May 16, 2014 10:31 am

Nice to know I some disappointment ahead when I play it Laughing at least I won't have high expectations so it might turn out to be ok.
Gabhlan
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Gabhlan
Number of posts : 2394
Registration date : 2009-03-24
TGD Reputation : 31
TGD Elite Member Points : 5629

Back to top Go down

Post  Waggly Bean on Sat May 17, 2014 11:56 am

Gabhlan wrote: at least I won't have high expectations so it might turn out to be ok.
Yeah this has happened to me with games before where they have pleasantly surprised me.

With I Am Alive I think it was the other way round for me. I expected too much. 

I think the game is very unfairly luck-based actually, as I had another blast at it last night and got loads further without much issue. I just breezed past the group encounters I struggled with last time, which is slightly odd. I almost started to enjoy it! Razz

But then I went back to Warface again. Very Happy
Waggly Bean
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post  Waggly Bean on Sun May 18, 2014 9:21 pm

Just a note to say I finished my runthrough of this today. It actually seems to get a bit easier as the game goes on. Also, once you have the bow and arrow you are much better off and the game immediately becomes more playable. I actually sort of enjoyed the second half.

Would I recommend anyone get the game? No way. BUT if you already have it unplayed, I think there is some fun to be had from it (and some frustrations!) Wink

A question for anyone who has played and finished it. Please don't read otherwise:
SPOILER STUFFS!:
Did anyone notice that out in the streets there is one part where there's some kind of creature in the dust? It is on another part of the street that seems to be cut off and inaccessible, but it is ambling around on there. It looks kind of like a big mutated man - similar to a hunchback or maybe even a L4D tank. What the hell is this???

EDIT: OK I looked it up. Apparently one of the twenty survivors to help. I couldn't see a way to get to him at the time. Damn dust!
Waggly Bean
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post  Colne Crusader on Sun May 18, 2014 10:08 pm

I was gonna say, it sounds like who you say. It's a shame you didn't come across him Waggs. He's quite useful. Although it's annoying how it is never explained why he is how he is......Obviously another indicator that the game was intended to be much more than it ended up being.
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Colne Crusader
Number of posts : 6886
Registration date : 2010-04-21
TGD Reputation : 158
TGD Elite Member Points : 10854

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum