The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mini Review: Resident Evil Operation Racoon City

2 posters

Go down

Mini Review: Resident Evil Operation Racoon City Empty Mini Review: Resident Evil Operation Racoon City

Post  Waggly Bean Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:22 am

Name of Game: Resident Evil Operation Racoon City
Style of Game: Third person shooter
Graphics Quality: Decent enough
Sound Quality: Pretty good I guess, sound effects are classic Resi stuff, music is a bit more 'actiony' than usual RE fare
Difficulty: Depends if you play solo or co-op, and which also surprisingly which difficulty setting you pick!  Suspect 
Ach points: Suspect an easy 500G or so.
Brief Thoughts:

I don't know what the deal is with all those terrible reviews floating around the internet. This game is fun. At least it is if you're a fan of the franchise and you play it in co-op. Sure the controls aren't the tightest and the story isn't particularly exciting, but it's not to have a modern take on scenes and characters from Resi 2 & 3. It's mindless, but it's fun. I really honestly think it only got slated BECAUSE it has the RE badge and people expected something of a much higher quality.

For those not in the know, the game basically takes place at the same time as RE2&3, and sees you taking the role of one of a special Umbrella task force who enter Raccoon City to 'clean up' by destroying all evidence of Umbrella's involvement with the outbreak. This involves destroying documentation, specimens and even survivors. The game is split into missions, and in it's simplest form is a cover-based shooter (not dissimilar to the way Gears of War works - but please do not expect that level of polish!)

Downsides: It appears that the game is very short. I played for 4-ish hours tonight co-op on normal difficulty, and we got through all but the last mission. I think there are only about 7 in the game. To add insult to injury, on it's announcement, the game was billed as having you play from either the Umbrella point of view, or from the Spec Ops (those opposing Umbrella) point of view. While the Spec Ops missions are real, they are not part of the base game and instead have to be bought. There are 6 in total, but Capcom have lovingly split those into two sets of three, and sold each one on the marketplace for £6.75! That is classic Capcom money-grabbing for you.  No 

Overall Score: Shut up haters, this is good stuff! I actually held off getting this for ages because I read so many bad reviews, but I'm glad I played it now. It is a keeper and will proudly join my Resi game collection. I would like the DLC to be have the complete package, but unless it goes on sale I can't see that happening.

So it's a 8/10 for funness, and a 4/10 for extremely greedy DLC offerings.

Buy the game (it's in the bargain bin anyway - well worth a tenner), but do not buy the DLC.
Waggly Bean
Waggly Bean
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Waggly Bean
Number of posts : 3373
Registration date : 2011-04-21
TGD Reputation : 22
TGD Elite Member Points : 8496

Back to top Go down

Mini Review: Resident Evil Operation Racoon City Empty Re: Mini Review: Resident Evil Operation Racoon City

Post  Colne Crusader Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:42 am

Good stuff.

I've sort of had this on my maybe list if i ever see it cheap as chips. I thought i might enjoy it. I always ignore reviews to some extent. Especially where resi is concerned.
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Colne Crusader
Number of posts : 6886
Registration date : 2010-04-21
TGD Reputation : 158
TGD Elite Member Points : 13323

Back to top Go down

Mini Review: Resident Evil Operation Racoon City Empty Re: Mini Review: Resident Evil Operation Racoon City

Post  Guest Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:23 am

The sort of game that needs to be played in co op really. If I saw clone get a copy I would be tempted to join in for sure.

Back to top Go down

Post  Colne Crusader Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:42 am

I needs to get me on shoot many robots with you guys yet
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:21 am

cheers for the mini matey

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:19 pm

Colne Crusader wrote:I needs to get me on shoot many robots with you guys yet
Tonight I can do if you are up for it? Happy to play late on if you need to wait for the good lady to fall asleep

Back to top Go down

Post  Colne Crusader Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:07 pm

Markav wrote:
Colne Crusader wrote:I needs to get me on shoot many robots with you guys yet
Tonight I can do if you are up for it? Happy to play late on if you need to wait for the good lady to fall asleep

I'm off to a mate's for pizza and beer mate. Hoping to start it in the week sometime when I've finished the darkness campaign. I'll hopefully catch you then.
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Waggly Bean Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:07 pm

Markav wrote:The sort of game that needs to be played in co op really. If I saw clone get a copy I would be tempted to join in for sure.

Yep, definitely a co-op game. I failed to point out that I have only played it in co-op so far, so can't comment on how it plays solo. I imagine it would be pretty soulless, although perhaps not quite as much so as the Outbreak games when played single player!  Rolling Eyes
Waggly Bean
Waggly Bean
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Waggly Bean
Number of posts : 3373
Registration date : 2011-04-21
TGD Reputation : 22
TGD Elite Member Points : 8496

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum